Sunday, July 28, 2013

 

Supporting my President


President Obama, for whom I enthusiastically voted for in 2008 and 2012, has difficulty accomplishing anything with the present gerrymandered Republican Congress (specifically the House of Representatives).  He is urging his followers, people like me, to write to and telephone our congressmen to persuade them to vote for the President's initiatives.  Somehow, in my situation, that would be a waste of time.  My Representative is Brad Sherman.  He has always been a stout defender and advocate of the programs that Mr. Obama would like to start.  Writing him would be like preaching to the choir or pushing a rope.  He doesn't need any letters from me to do what I want him to do.  I support him as much as I support Mr. Obama.  In addition, Mr. Sherman represents a strongly Democratic district.  He has no reason to fear or even pay any attention to the conservative zealots who oppose universal health care, any form of limitation on guns, or taxing the rich.

I envy the residents of other near-by districts.  If my congressman were Buck McKeon, Dana Rohrabacher, or (shudder) Darryl Issa, I would write and phone him several times a day.  I would try my damnedest to be a big pain in the ass to him.

All things considered, I am happy with the congressman and the district I have.  I will grit my teeth and hope that another election or two will produce a House of Representatives that is more truly representative of the American People.  Perhaps I can join a lawsuit to challenge the gerrymandering that took place after the census of 2010.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?