Monday, January 30, 2012

 

Keystone Pipeline - another Conservative Cause?

I do not adjust my spam filter very often.  As a result I receive many e-mails from various conservative groups.  One of them sent me an e-mail today (January 30) that had the subject: "44 cosponsors to APPROVE Keystone pipeline . . ."  In the text some of the cosponsors are listed: Senators John Hoeven (R-N.D.), Richard Lugar (R-Ind.), and David Vitter (R-La.).  The other 41 cosponsors are not named.  I presume that most of them are also Republicans.  The cosponsors intend to introduce legislation to approve the construction of the pipeline.

I am not concerned about the possible success of the proposed legislation.  I don't think it will go anywhere.  The Democratic majority in the Senate will probably vote it down.  If the legislation ever gets to the President, he will veto it.  The Senators are simply doing an exercise to please their conservative constituents.  And that raises the question:  Why is the Keystone Pipeline a Conservative Cause?  In my observation, here are some of the Conservative Causes:
The pipeline has the support of those who favor more drilling for oil in U.S. territory, so that we will be less dependant on foreign oil suppliers.  However, the proposed pipeline would start in Canada, to make Canada one of the foreign suppliers of our oil.  I've noted in a previous blog that we export great quantities of refined petroleum products such as gasoline.  I can understand a group of men who make their fortunes dealing with petroleum favoring the pipeline, but I don't understand the logic of dedicated conservatives taking up the cause.

Unless, of course, these "dedicated conservatives" are not really dedicated to an ideology of small government but instead to the prospect of becoming even more rich.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?