Friday, September 03, 2010

 

Guavas, etc.

One of my readers complained this morning that I hadn't posted a new article for many days. I replied that I seem to have run out of original comments about politics. Anything that I can think of to say about political matters has already been said or written. So, I decided to write about guavas.

I have a guava bush in my front yard. Today, September 3, 2010 I see that at least one guava has attained its full size. Most of them are about half as big around as they will be when ripe. It seems to me that they are ripening earlier this year than last.

I don't know what to do with all the guavas that are going to fall from that bush later this month and early October. In past years I have canned guavas. I can them, but don't eat them often. I have canned guavas that I canned in 2002. My reader suggested guava jam or jelly. I'll have to find out how to make good guava jam or jelly. I'll start with Google. Perhaps one of my daughters has a recipe.

In 1962 I visited Thailand for the first time. I was part of a US State Department traveling show showing and celebrating the peaceful uses of atomic energy. One Saturday a Thai lady was taking a group of us on a tour. We visited the miniature palace of King Chulalongkorn. We were standing near the lagoon that contains the palace and I was eating a guava. Guavas in Thailand are bigger than the guavas from my front yard bush. It turns out that the word for guava in Thai is farang. It happens that the word for a white-skinned foreigner is also farang. A boy and his mother were near by. The boy pointed at me and exclaimed, "Farang kin farang," which meant that the white foreigner was eating a guava. It caused some amusement among the tour party when the guide explained the pun. The mother of the little boy was embarrassed.

I still don't know what I'm going to do with all the guavas. I don't eat much jelly or jam. I like the guavas raw, but raw guavas won't keep very long. I'll give some to my Iranian neighbor and to several friends. I used to have a friend who loved guavas passionately, but she no longer lives.

I am open to all suggestions.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?