Sunday, March 28, 2010
What do Conservatives Want?
However, small government that spends money only on things that I approve seems like a belief I could adopt with enthusiasm. The only difference between me and the Tea Party people is the set of things I want government to do and not do. Here is a partial list of things I want government to do:
- Provide protection to my home in Los Angeles against fires. If my neighbor's house catches fire, government should send the fire deparment to put it out so that my house doesn't catch fire.
- Provide protection to me against epidemics of such diseases as smallpox, influenza, plague, measles, diphtheria, and tuberculosis. To protect me the government should establish and operate medical clinics that screen and treat everyone for such diseases who might come near enough to me to infect me.
- Provide, for a reasonable price, clean and reliable water to drink.
- Provide or oversee firms that provide other utilities: gas, electricity, telephone, etc.
- Provide warnings of impending floods, storms, and other disasters to give me time to evacuate my home and proceed to safety.
Here is a partial list of things I want government not to do or to stop doing:
- Put people in prison for long terms for possession or use of marijuana and other relatively harmless substances.
- Conduct pointless wars and send Americans to fight these wars and be killed.
- Harass homeless people instead of providing safe places for them to rest and sleep.
- Harass workers who congregate peacefully in certain places to find work for the day.
- Continue to support the cruel policy of the Israeli government against the formerly indigenous people of Palestine.
So, am I a conservative or what? Do you think the Tea Party movement would welcome me?