Tuesday, July 18, 2006

 

Do I Hate George Bush?

I criticize the President in e-mails to my friends, as well as in this blog. My conservative friend H insists that I am simply repeating "group think" of liberals and that I, along with all liberals, simply hate and despise George Bush. I've never figured out a witty way to respond to that criticism except to say that I can't really hate the man because I've never met him.

However, after thinking about what I wrote in my previous blog (yes, I often think after I've written something as well as before) I wondered how Mr. Bush would hold up in a British election campaign in which it is considered perfectly acceptable for members of the audience to heckle the politician. Here in the United States, it is considered impolite to treat an office seeker in that way. In Britain it is not only perfectly acceptable, it is considered normal behavior by an audience.

To respond effectively to a heckler, a politican must have a good sense of humar, must be able to think quickly, and must have sense enough to resond to the heckler in a way that helps rather than hinders his campaign for office. I don't know how the Brits expect an office seeker to respond to heckling but I would think that it would be counterproductive for the speaker merely to resort to name calling or other remarks that would be merely insulting to the heckler. His effective witty remark must show that he understands what the heckler is talking about and has an effective answer to the heckler's criticism.

George Bush is known to be a man who doesn't like to read anything (except for children's story books). He prefers to be briefed by an individual rather than read a reasoned written argument prepared by the individual. Then he makes up his mind based on his gut instinct and on the impression the briefer makes on him rather than the facts that the briefer advances. I doubt that a person like Mr. Bush would go very far in a political environment in which he would be subjected to heckling during his campaign stops. In fact, I'm told that his handlers are very careful in selecting his audiences to make sure that none of them are inclined to criticize Mr. Bush or question his policies.

Of course, I don't hate George Bush. I've never met him. I just think that he is a good example of the Peter Principle in action, in which people in decision-making positions are promoted to the level of their incompetence. I've read that Mr. Bush would be a competent mayor of a medium-sized city in Texas.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?