Saturday, October 02, 2004
THINGS THAT PEOPLE BELIEVE THAT AREN’T SO
(1) Government policies, especially taxation, have a big effect on the economy.
(2) As long as George Bush is President, the terrorists won’t dare attempt another attack on us like the one of September 11, 2001.
(3) The best way - in fact, the only effective way - to deter terrorists from attacking us is to wage war on them. In waging war, we capture or kill terrorists so that there are fewer left who might attack us.
(4) The death penalty for murder deters many persons from committing murders that they might otherwise do. In order for the penalty to be credible, a convicted murderer must be executed soon after conviction.
(5) Our system of justice very rarely convicts and executes an innocent person. Even if a small number of innocent persons are executed, one has to compare their deaths with the increased number of deaths of innocent persons who would be victims of murderers if there were no death penalty.
(6) Poor people are poor because they’re lazy. This is the land of opportunity. Anyone who works hard enough can get ahead and become rich.
Well, what do you think? Do you agree with me that these are some of the things that people believe that aren’t so?